Let’s make an assessment.
- Do you check your body to see if you still have that ache in your leg, or a cold?
- Do you rehash an argument you had the day before with a friend?
- Do you begin to worry again over your finances?
- Do you start to plan and then fret over the project that is still unfinished?
- Do you check the latest news headlines?
- Can you think of other worrisome thoughts that greet you each day?
These may not be thoughts that are the best for starting your day. There is little happiness in any of these concerns, wouldn’t you agree?
Each day offers a clean slate into the happy life you seek. You can seize this opportunity by guiding your thoughts towards what feels good.
You can begin a little ritual upon waking up. Become aware of how good your body feels wrapped in your cozy blankets. Enjoy the good feeling of your pillows. Feel the wonder of just waking up! Yesterday’s burdens can wait. This is a time for you to enjoy life. These are the precious moments of the day. Remember, pursuit of happiness? If not now, when? Here’s what we can do each day.
Upon waiting up, take advantage of the safety of the moment. Approach these moments with the good feelings that make you smile inside. These few moments upon waking are yours. These moments are your key to a happier day.
On those days when you wake up and find you are still locked into yesterday’s concerns, stop the thoughts by changing your actions. Get up when you are lost in the same worrisome thoughts. Begin an action that makes you feel better. Here are some ideas.
- Just go back to sleep and reset.
- Get up. Look in the bathroom mirror and give yourself that knowing smile. –You know, the smile, that remembers how cute or clever or funny or bright or awesome you are.
- Listen to a motivational talk on-line as you get ready for the day. (There are countless tapes available.)
- Listen to your favorite upbeat music.
- Look out the window and let yourself enjoy nature
- Write a list of activities that would be fun right now if you were someone else
Most of all, find actions that feel good. Allow yourself to be happy first, every day upon awaking, no matter what. Be committed to how you feel. Appreciate what feels good for a few moments every day before you take on any responsibilities. Make a habit of this: Wake up! Appreciate what makes you feel good!
This simple change in how you begin your day, promises to allow new opportunities to unfold during the day. You control the amount of improvement in your life. Opening up the happiness valve at the on-start of day, supports your plans to achieve during the day: to complete your project, heal your illness, complete your project with more ease, to make the world a better place.
Wake up! Appreciate what makes you feel good! That’s good advice because it works! If you know someone who is struggling through their days, please share this article with them and we’ll both make a happier world.