There is only one job I have today. Find thoughts that are peaceful, joyful and allow happiness. Let go of thoughts that are worrisome, depressing and vibrate poor feelings.
Feelings of unhappiness and unrest suggest an imbalance. Think about why you want what you want. Can good feelings exist with your current thoughts?
Good feelings come from a higher, lighter energy. And, trying to force good feelings while entertaining worrisome thoughts doesn’t really work. Ever tried forcing a flower to blossom? Check out your actions this morning. Were you at ease, feeling like you were floating down the river on a sunny afternoon? If not, you can change right now. You may need to rest from trying too hard.
- And it may not only be the 7-8 hours of sleep you wish you had that’s keeping you from the happy flow of life. Here are some restful activities you can enjoy during the day, that have been known to bring a happier balance back to your life. If you haven’t taken time for yourself lately, try one of these activities to offer balance to all that you ask of yourself during the day. — You know, work stress, family stress, maintenance stress, etc. You can choose activities that balance the time you spend to give your body and soul rest and reassurance until all is well. You may be amazed how easy your tasks can be achieved when you are at ease. So, if you are feeling a bit uneasy and imbalanced, try one or more of the following:
- Read a book. Many public libraries provide ebooks and audio books. If this is available to you, consider yourself fortunate. Books still hold treasures for you, spur your imagination, take you to worlds you would never have know, keep you from stagnation.
- Listen and enjoy music as a primary experience.
- Paint or draw pictures — not to sell, but to learn about yourself. Use painting or drawing as a way to meditate, to slow down those thoughts that are giving you unrest
- Take a walk by yourself with no particular destination in mind.
- Be quiet in a garden. Be receptive to the birds, butterflies, bugs, flowers, grass. If you catch yourself making lists of what needs to be done in the garden, you may want to stop and find something that can hold your restful enjoyment.
This may sound a little weird to you, but beautiful days are brought to you when you begin walking within what you wish you had. I am encouraging myself to walk a fraction ahead of how I want things to be for me now. When I am balanced in mind, body and soul, I am able to relax enough to enjoy the road to my dreams. I am confident, my dreams are unfolding in just the way I want them to unfold. I breathe with ease. I breathe with confidence. I breathe with love.
What would you be doing if you were experiencing a beautiful day? Begin doing these things now. You and I have the power from within.
You look at the calendar. All the wonderful projects you were going to accomplish this year are not even begun!
Every year around this time you may feel a little anxious, a little overwhelmed. How do you handle the stresses of the holidays? Keeping a balance between activities and quiet times is always helpful but especially beneficial now. There is a simple technique to remedy your off times. It is quick. It is easy. You just have to remember to pay attention to your feelings.
Yes. Listen to any emotions with negative impact upon you. You can study the technique further. For the purposes of today, here are techniques I have found successful for a quick recovery from irritation, gloom and doom.
- Start your day with 5 minutes of quiet. No thoughts. No worries. No interpretations. Breathe in and out. Listen to your breath. Travel to the peaceful spot within you. This is where your strength for the day will be. Feel the peace. Feel the confidence. Feel the comfort. This is the core of happiness.
- End your 5 minutes of quiet with 5 positive adjectives about you.
You may find negative adjectives readily pop up. Pay no attention. Look for some fun, positive adjectives. Words have power. Use them to your advantage. Do these words lift you up? If so, use them throughout the day and see how things look brighter. You may even have a new found confidence. Now that’s the way to enter the holiday spirit!
- Listen to your feelings. Negative feelings are messengers. They tell you the way you are acting is getting you further and further away from your place of well-being.
- STOP IN YOUR TRACKS IF FEELINGS ARE NEGATIVE. Don’t argue. Don’t open a dialogue about the feeling. Don’t explain the reason for the feeling. Just STOP! Remember the morning of quiet and how good you felt.
- Try re-wording your situation.
- Can’t do that? Try finding something else to do that feels better than the negative situation.
- Keep searching until you feel better. A better feelings means you are heading in the direction of well-being, love, joy and happiness. Stay on that track.
There are examples in the book, GETTING TO HAPPY: Learn to Read Emotional Messages. As you think of irritating events or feelings that you encounter during this holiday time, please leave a comment and I will be glad to do my best to address your particular challenge.
I cannot change situations I experience each day, but I can change the way I think about it and how I respond to it. For me, it makes all the difference.