You know the old saying, “All work and no play makes John a dull boy.” Even when you love work, work is work. It is possible to lose your balance. And contacting your core of happiness is dependent on a healthy balance of work and play, light tension and relaxation.
If you find yourself in moments of frustration or irritation, this may be a sign for you to check around you.
Describe how you have spent your recent days
- Who have you spoken to?
- Are your thoughts heavy? Are you carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders?
- Are you worried about the future? about the past? Have you momentarily lost your connection with the present?
- How many hours have you sat in front of the TV? the computer? What did you feel?
- What did you do to express yourself? How did you feel?
- What were you thinking that made you feel sad? irritated? frustrated?
Once you get a report on what has taken place in the last day or two, you will begin to see the balance or lack of balance that only you have control over. Take a breath. If you have been out of balance, try one of the following.
- Play catch with your dog.
- Play Words with Friends
- Send your family a homemade gift even though it is not the holidays, a birthday, anniversary, etc. Send a gift for no reason at all! You’ll feel better. It’s like magic!
- Take a walk and if you have a dog take your dog along. See how many flowers you can name. Bring your camera along and take pictures to share with your family and friends when you get back.
- Go to the park.
- Find a few friends and play Settlers of Cattan.
- Take a shovel and dig in the garden.
- Rearrange your closet and get rid of the things you can’t wear anymore.
- Watch a funny movie.
Most of all, if you have been a little down lately, chances are you have not been that good to yourself. Once you give yourself a break and balance out, your natural inclination will turn back to well-being and happiness.