Once you awaken during the night, it may be tricky getting back to sleep! Appreciation games can keep your mind occupied away from negative worry and needless concerns. You can make positive impressions while slipping back into a comfortable snooze!
I tried this game last night. It was a gale-warning night outside. The banging of a summer umbrella left open woke us up. Here’s how I played: With each letter of the alphabet, name a feeling word of gratitude. You know what they say, gratitude is the healthiest of emotions! Matching appreciative feelings to a letter may take a lot of time and you may fall asleep right away. If you wake up again, pick up where you left off. It will look something like this:
- A – apple The delicious APPLE pie I ate last night.
- B – backyard. I love the little yard on the side of my house. It’s like a safe cloister.
- C-can’t think of anything… nodding off to sleep!
- C – couches. I love to work from one of my couches and look at the scenery.
- D–door. I love my new front door. It’s so welcoming!
- E–envelopes. They are handy, aren’t they? I appreciate having them around.
- F-family. I seem to appreciate family more and more lately.
- G-giraffe. What interesting animals. So graceful!
You get the point. Have fun. Use your awake time to explore just how many aspects of your life you feel gratefulness. Appreciate your surroundings, people in your life, things you like to eat, places you like to go. Head toward appreciation and for a moment, let go of your concerns.
You can play this game during your five-minute time-out. Notice emotions of irritation, anger, disappointment, worry, even sluggishness? Then stop. It’s time to look for things that make you feel better. What better way to do this than plan the Appreciation Alphabet Game. You can get back to your happy lifestyle in no time.
Happy days take happy thoughts!
Best to you, Barbara
Remember to pick up a copy of GETTING TO HAPPY: Learning To Read Emotional Messages. Look for the Audio Book available soon!